General Civil and Business Litigation
The seasoned litigators at Benner Kim LLP work to resolve breach of contract claims and general civil and business disputes across the spectrum of business, labor/employment, consumer, insurance, trademark/copyright, products liability, bankruptcy, transportation, administrative law, and commercial law in the Inland Empire, Orange County and Los Angeles County with a special emphasis on construction and real estate litigation and corporate disputes. The firm has handled virtually every kind of litigation imaginable, for individuals and institutions, in cases ranging from breach of contract actions to the defense of major consumer class actions.
In today’s complex economy, business litigation often presents a challenge to a company’s ongoing operations and imperils its financial stability. Benner Kim LLP can help you meet these challenges by utilizing their collective resources to resolve your most demanding disputes.
The first step to effective representation in business litigation is a thorough understanding of the client’s operations and the external market factors that affect them. Because the firm’s practice is dedicated to serving business clients, we not only bring to any lawsuit a complete understanding of the pertinent business realities that govern it, but are well-positioned to work in close partnership with you to develop a litigation strategy tailored to meet the organization’s goals and objectives.
With over 20 years of combined litigation experience, we have the skill and judgment to ensure that you achieve cost-effective, efficient resolutions to your business disputes. Together, Benner Kim LLP stands ready to maximize your chances for a favorable outcome while protecting your overall business interests.
Construction litigation often centers around alleged construction defects, which can be the result of negligence on the part of any number of the many parties involved in a construction project, including contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and design professionals such as architects and engineers. Plans may be drawn incorrectly, or they may not be followed correctly. Contractors or subcontractors may not use the materials called for in the specifications in order to maximize profit, which can lead to a building collapse or other tragic event.
Some of the most common construction defect claims involve the following:
- Negligent siting, soil and slope instability, inadequate drainage or runoff
- Roadway and infrastructure problems
- Design defects
- Structural defects, stressed metal, building material failures
- Poor workmanship, faulty construction, wiring, plumbing, ventilation
- Poorly laid foundation, faulty fill, improperly mixed cement
Construction litigation is not limited to the question of defects but often involves claims for payment or disputes surrounding when and how work will be performed. Our office represents parties to disputes involving:
- Collections and claims for payment
- Mechanics' lien foreclosures
- Miller Act and Little Miller Act claims
- Payment bonds, performance bonds
- Stop notices
- Delay claims, acceleration claims
- Bid protests
Real Estate Litigation
Like construction projects, real estate development deals represent a significant investment in time, money, and energy on the part of the major players involved in the transaction. A dispute at any stage of the project threatens to derail the entire deal. Problems can occur during planning and development, financing, buying, selling, leasing, closing, or foreclosing, requiring resolution through legal channels.
We handle all manner of real estate disputes, including:
- Title litigation - repair title defects, suits to quiet title, fraudulent conveyances
- Border disputes - property lines, easements, nuisances, joint tenant partitions
- Land use, zoning, variances
- Transfer Disclosure Statements
- Professional Malpractice - agents, brokers
- Breach of contract - damages, specific performance
- Escrow funds held too long, disbursed prematurely, or over collected
- Covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs)
Litigation at the level of the business entity may involve the shareholders, officers or directors, or disputes among the partners themselves. As business lawyers involved at the transactional level from entity formation to dissolution, we are keenly aware of the problems which may arise and the necessary means for resolving them. Our office handles all types of litigation related to corporate governance, including:
- Shareholder/Partner/Member Disputes
- Director and Officer (D&O) Representation
- Shareholder Derivative Suits
- Partnership and joint venture disputes
- Employment agreements, covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements
- Intellectual property - trademarks and trade secrets, confidentiality agreements
Seek Experienced Legal Representation
At Benner Kim LLP, we are business lawyers and litigators. We possess the in-depth understanding of the business world necessary to effectively represent your interests in negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or litigation, including trial and appeal. In the Inland Empire, Los Angeles and Orange County, contact Benner Kim LLP with your legal needs.